Raleigh pool companies like Rising Sun Pools & Spas want to make sure you and your family and friends stay as safe as possible when it comes to storing your pool chemicals. In order to maintain a safe and healthy environment for you and your guests, Rising Sun Pools & Spas has compiled a list of helpful tips for pool chemical storage to avoid harmful reactions, spills, and chemical mixing:
- Read All Labels – Each chemical should have a detailed label on it that will identify the chemical, have appropriate hazard warnings, and reactive properties listed. Having a good understanding of the chemicals you plan to use is the easiest way to prevent incidents.
- Store In Appropriate Temps – Steer clear of areas with high humidity levels and direct sunlight. Also, storage room temperatures should never exceed 95º F.
- Keep Chemicals Dry – To avoid corrosion and noxious gases, store chemicals on a flat raised surface instead of on the floor. Make sure chemicals are away from doors and windows and take extra precautions to cover the containers using waterproof materials.
- Store Separately – Only like chemicals should be stored above or below each other, and each chemical should be stored individually, including chlorine products.
- Combat Fire Hazards – Always keep your storage area clean of trach, debris, and rags. To avoid the risk of ignition, always store gasoline, lawnmowers, and grills away from pool chemicals to avoid an explosion.
- Mixing With Other Cleaning Agents – Always think twice before cleaning your chemical storage area. Make sure that the cleaning agents you plan to use are compatible with the pool chemical to avoid dangerous reactions.
- Consider Air Flow – Chemical storage area must always be well ventilated. Many people choose to store their pool chemicals in the pump room – if that is where you will be keeping your supplies, you will need an HVAC shutoff in case of an emergency situation.
- Knowledge Is Key – Anyone handling chemicals should have a full understanding of OSHA standards as well as how to use personal protective equipment when handling pool chemicals. It is always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to pool chemicals!
Rising Sun Pools & Spas
Raleigh pool companies like Rising Sun Pools & Spas want to make sure you, your family, and your guests are safe at all times when handling and storing your pool chemicals. If you have any further questions or concerns about storing your pool chemicals safely, contact Rising Sun Pools & Spa today for all of your inground pools, above ground pool service, and hot tubs Raleigh needs!