Above-ground vs. in-ground pools? This question plagues so many homeowners in warm southern states like North Carolina.
In choosing the best swimming pool for your home, you need to consider a wide range of factors. Some of the major factors include…
- • Yard space
- • Budget
- • Intended usage
- • Surroundings
- • Local climate
- • Personal style
- • Timeframe
- • And more!
After evaluating these factors – and deciding which are most important to you—you can make a thoughtful decision about your pool purchase. But to help you as you’re sorting out your pool priorities, we’ve put together a list of the most common reasons our customers give for choosing either an in-ground or above-ground pool.
Benefits of In-Ground Pools
In areas with long warm seasons (like Raleigh, North Carolina), installing an in-ground pool you love may just be worth the high initial investment. Here are some of the biggest perks of in-ground pools:
- Attractive Appearance: When people think of their dream home or vacation, more often than not, a nice, luxury in-ground swimming pool is part of the picture that comes to mind. In-ground pools simply please the eye, making homeowners feel as if they have a small paradise escape in their backyard.
- Extensive Style Options: Far more so than above-ground pools, in-ground swimming pools offer a wide range of shape, size, and material options. You can design your pool with concrete, vinyl, or fiberglass and choose from a variety of unique shapes, from a basic rectangle to a circle or infinity pool and more!
- Easily Customizable: With an in-ground pool, you can dictate more than just the size, shape, and material. Rising Sun Pools in-ground pool construction makes it easy for you to specify your precise vision to a tee, whether you’re imagining a stone patio, an outdoor entertainment area, an attached spa, a unique integration with your garden or landscaping–you name it!
- Amenity Potential: While above-ground pools provide more limitations on amenities–ruling out options like an integrated spa or certain patio preferences–in-ground pools allow you to dream big, adding anything from water features to diving boards to tanning ledges.
- Longer Lasting: In-ground pools have a reputation for longevity. The materials used (particularly fiberglass and concrete) can last 20 to 30+ years. However, if you don’t give your pool, the proper care and attention it needs, any repairs can cost a pretty penny.
- Increased Home Value: And of course, if you ever decide to move out of your home, your in-ground pool will provide an extra perk to sweeten the deal and add more value to your home sale price.
Benefits of Above-Ground Pools
Many of our customers find themselves more impressed with the above-ground pool option. Here are some of the biggest perks of above-ground pools in North Carolina:
- Quick, Easy Installation: Putting up an above-ground pool is very simple–especially when compared to the more complex in-ground pool installation process.
- Better for Tight Budgets: With significantly lower initial installation costs, electric bills, and water bills, above-ground pools cost far less than in-ground pool installations.
- Sufficient for Kids: In choosing between above-ground and in-ground pools, your goal matters. If your family is simply looking for a place to cool off and play during summer break, an above-ground pool is a fantastic option.
- Less Expensive to Repair or Replace: With underground plumbing and electricity, in-ground pool systems can be pretty expensive to repair when damaged. Meanwhile, above-ground pools can be replaced for a fraction of the cost.
- Smart for First-Time Poolowners: Nothing would be worse than spending a large sum of money on a pool that is rarely used. For a relatively low cost, you can put up an above-ground pool and determine whether you’d be getting your money’s worth out of a more permanent one.
Rising Sun Pools & Spas
Whether you choose an above-ground or in-ground pool, Rising Sun Pools can help you design a pool that fits your space, style, goals, and budget. We’ll walk you through the installation process, from initial planning to your post-installation additions. For over 50 years, we’ve been the pool builders of choice for home- and business owners across North Carolina.
Build your dream pool with our digital pool builder tool or contact us today!